Despite the fact that the “fair skin obsession” is fading by the day, when it comes to looking glamorous, many still believe that women with dark complexion cannot do much with makeup and colours. This however, is far from the truth. Makeup actually flatters dusky complexion, for which many actresses and models are a proof! Remember 1990s international supermodels Ujjwala Raut and Sheetal Mallar? And more recently Deepika Padukone and Priyanka Chopra, who are admired worldwide for their “exotic Indian” skin tone?
So, if you are blessed with lovely tanned or olive complexion, read on to know these simple tips and tricks to make your dark complexion work wonders for you.
1. Don’t ignore the cleansing routine
Although tanned complexion looks great, it tends to appear washed out and patchy if not taken care of. So, do not skip the daily cleansing and moisturising routine. Remember to exfoliate regularly to achieve an even-toned complexion in order to give a smooth finish to your makeup.
Before beginning with your makeup, wash your face with an exfoliating face wash that is suitable for daily use.
2. Make sure to find the right foundation
Choosing the right foundation is crucial to make your makeup work for you. Here is how you do it:
- Try to find a foundation that is a shade closest to your skin tone. The worst mistake you can make is choosing a shade lighter than your skin tone, as it will make your skin look greyish and patchy.
- To make a correct match, you can even try to mix two shades to create the right colour for yourself.
If your skin is too oily, pick a water-based foundation. But for dry skin, go for a cream-based one.
- Always mix some moisturiser or a few drops of water with the foundation, in your palm before applying it on your face and neck. This will help in blending it perfectly with your skin tone, and preventing it from appearing patchy after some time.
- Never ignore your neck while wearing foundation, else your face and neck will show two different shades!
- Dab on some translucent powder at the end, as darker skin tones can look oily after some time.
- While buying foundation, check the tester on your forehead or jawline, rather than your wrist, to get a clearer idea.
3. Highlight your eyes
Women with darker complexion are often blessed with very dark, deep eyes, and dark lashes too. You can use this as the highlight of your makeup! Read on to know how:
- Go for cream-based eyeliners, rather than liquid ones. Cream-based liners are easier to blend, and look more natural.
- Choose dark shades like browns, prunes, copper and burgundy for the eyeshadow, rather than lighter colours like pink or purple. Dark metallic colours can also be used.
Use a lot of mascara to make your eyes stand out.
4. Choose the perfect colour for your blush
For your blush, go for shades like rose, deep orange and coral. Try to avoid shades like brown and beige, as they won’t suit. Women with darker skin tones can choose a dark rose for the day, and shades like plum, wine and bronze for the evenings. For evening parties, shimmers with gold tones can work wonders for the dark complexion.
Do not get too excited with the bronzer; going overboard can take your look from tanned to charred.
5. Play with the lip colours
Both, matte and glossy lip colours go great on dusky complexion. You can even choose frosty and shimmery shades. You can go for dark shades like berry, plums, burgundy or mauve, but nude lips look better on dark skin. If you think your lips are dark, apply a tiny amount of foundation on them before wearing lipstick. This will bring out the colour better.
Stay away from brown, maroon, brick or mahogany, as these colours can make your face look darker and pale.