Besan cheela recipe or besan ka cheela recipe – It is a quick and easy to make Indian breakfast. This is also great evening snack with a cup of tea
There are many versions of making cheela. Today I am sharing vegetable besan cheela. It is also called bedan ka puda.
This is also known as Vegetarian omelette. Serve as a breakfast with bread toast.
Here I have used different vegetables like chopped onion, capsiucm, tomato, spinach and grated carrot. Choice is yours, you can skip any veggies that your don’t like or you don’t have in the fridge. Or you can skip all the veggies and make plain besan chilla.
Or you can add only one type of vegetable e.g. methi besan cheela, tomato besan cheela, corn cheela and so on. Even you can add cheese or paneer. I will leave you with your imaginations.
This is dear hubby’s favorite snack, but I am not much fond of it. It is not like that I hate it. I would rather go for oats cheela. Whenever I make this puda, I usually eat only one while he eats more that three. He loves it just because he grew up eating it.
As my in-law’s were here last month, I made big batch for all of us. If I am making it for two of us then I half the recipe and usually make with only one vegetable instead mixed vegetables.
Besan (Gram flour) contains a good amount of carbohydrates and protein. Also this is gluten free flour. Cheela or puda made from this flour makes quick morning breakfast.
I have added here just because my mother-in-law makes it this way. No specific reason. It gives faint sour taste to the cheela. You can skip it too.
How To Make Besan Cheela Recipe:
1) Take besan, carom seeds, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt in a bowl and mix well.
2) Add all the vegetables (onion, tomato, spinach, carrot, capsicum, carrot, green chili, cilantro) and Mix well, so all the flour is coated to veggies.
3) Then mix in yogurt.
4) Add little water at a time and make lump free batter. If you dump all the water at once, you will get lumps of besan. Batter should be runny , adjust the water to get right consistency of batter, Also do a taste test to check salt.
5) Heat the pan or tawa on medium heat. Once hot drizzle about 2 teaspoons of oil and let it get heat up. Once oil is hot, pour the ladleful of batter and spread it to make round shape pancake. Let the cheela gets cook on one side about 2 minutes or till gets golden brown.
6) Drizzle some oil on top and then flip it using spatula. Cook other side for 1-2 minutes.
7) Once both sides are cooked, remove it to plate and serve.
I would prefer to serve warm/hot.
Serving suggestion: Serve besan cheela or besan puda as a breakfast or snack with Coriander Chutney and ketchup on side. It can be served with toasted bread and a cup of tea.
Tips On Making Perfect Besan Cheela:
- Always cook cheela on medium heat. If cooked on high heat then it gets brown or black very quickly while besan still is in raw stage from inside. This rawness will ruin the taste.
- Before adding batter on tawa, make sure tawa and oil both is nicely hot.
- Be generous while using oil. This will make crispy chillas.